Hauserplb
Hauserplb, Plumber
Experience:  Over 20 years experience. Third generation
25685634

My 4 year old half bath toilet (busiest toilet) just started

Customer Question

my 4 year old half bath toilet (busiest toilet) just started making jet engine noise ONLY as the tank fills after flushing. It seems to be quieter if I wrap my hand around the water line right where it enters the toilet tank bottom. It stops completely when I shut off water and starts immediately when I turn water back on for it to continue filling. At first only did this on 50% of flushes or if toilet unused for hours. Now, it does it all the time.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 1 year ago.

The noise is from the fill valve. The seals are becoming worn and the water is "whistling" as it passes through the valve. Simply replace the valve, it will solve the issue. you can get a replacement at any hardware store for $10 or less. I recommend the fluidmaster brand. Instructions on replacement are on the boxes and is very easy to do, but if you have any questions just return here!