Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Yesterday i started getting a sewage smell coming in my

Customer Question

good morning. Yesterday i started getting a sewage smell coming in my basement. I managed to pit the problem to my sump pump. After a few hours it went away. Woke up this morning to a horrific stronger sewage smell. My husband cleaned out the pump with a shop vac and removed all the gunk that built up from the extensive rains. There is still water (dirty water) in the drain and the smell is still there. What should I try next
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your description indicates to be that you probably have a broken sewer pipe under the basement slab. There is on other likely explanation. The best approach would be to call a drain cleaning service and have them put a camera down the main drain line to see what's going on. You won't be able to resolve the effluent in your sump pit until you get your sewer main fixed.