Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

C in Houston here. I have done several toilet installs but

Customer Question

Steve C in Houston here. I have done several toilet installs but none like I just ran into. Removed the old toilet (1st floor install)and there was an iron flange ring that was rusted out and not even attached to the concrete floor. Removed it and here is the issue. There is a lead like material sleeve that is 4-5in deep into the drain below that iron flange ring. I got a PVC replacement that has the rubber ring that expands into the metal drain. My question is, in order to put in the new PVC flange, shouldn't the lead sleeve be removed? Also, the old flange ring was only level with the tile around it. Shouldn't the flange be 1/8 to 1/4 above the surrounding flooring using spacers above the flange if necessary?
thx
steve
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. As long as the rubber seals against the sides of the pipe there is no need to remove any lead. If the flange sits below the tile and is sealed against the sides of the pipe then you can put spacers on top of the flange to raise it. You are correct that it should be above the flooring about 1/4" or 1/8" if you use the wax ring with the rubber collar. Also be sure to secure the flange to the floor. You will need a drill with a hammer drill setting and the proper drill bit. Use Tapcon screws to screw to the concrete and be sure to use the proper bit for the screw. For example a 1/4" Tapcon screw will use a 3/16" bit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MIKE
THE PROBLEM IS, I CAN'T GET ANY FLANGE DOWN INSIDE THE DRAIN PIPE WITH THE LEAD SLEEVE STILL IN PLACE. I CAN SEND YOU A PICTURE IF IT WILL HELP. I HAVE A FLANGE WITH THE EXPANDABLE RUBBER SLEEVE
BUT IT WILL NOT FIT WITH THE LEAD STILL IN PLACE. THIS LEAD SLEEVE IS SOMETHING THAT I HAVE NOT SEEN ON ANY VIDEO THAT I HAVE WATCHED, THAT IS WHAT IS PUZZLING.
SC
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Yes a picture would be great. Is the lead not packed around where the joint was?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MIKE
IT IS A LEAD BEND, AND I HAVE TORN UP THE TOP PART OF THE LEAD, BUT NOT DAMAGED THE PVC BELOW. ANY IDEAS--PICTURE IS ATTACHED
SC
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a 4" piece of PVC? It looks like it was a toilet flange with a metal ring. I cannot tell what size the pipe is but it looks to be 4". If you can first confirm that a 4" pipe will glue inside it then take an inside pipe cutter and cut the PVC flush with the finished floor. Be sure to shove a rag inside the pipe so you do not lose the cutting tool Like this click here Then glue a piece of 4" pipe into it so the pipe is flush with the finished floor then glue a 4x3 toilet flange into it. The 4x3 flange is just a standard PVC flange that will glue over 3" PVC or into 4" PVC. Be sure to screw the flange down also.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Is there any way I can further assist or was the information I provided just what you needed?