Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

I have a rheem 24 gas water heater and cold water is coming

Customer Question

I have a rheem 24 gas water heater and cold water is coming out of the hot water tap even though there is gas connected. What do I have to do to correct this problem
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Is the pilot lit? Is this a new installation or existing water heater that stopped working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is an existing gas hot water system and when I changed over the new gas bottle this morning the hot water wont work, there is cold water coming out. It happened once before and someone come and fixed it by turning the heater and the gas line on and off and leaving the tap on while the water was turned off at the machine but I cant remember what order it was done in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The gas heater will start then it will stop
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

You may just have to bleed the air out of the line. If you loosen the connection and let a little bit of gas leak out then tighten when you smell the gas. I imagine when they fiddled with it as described before it eventually bled the line out.