Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

My water heater was on vacation setting. after putting back to hot, the pilot light went o

Customer Question

my water heater was on vacation setting. after putting back to hot, the pilot light went out. (next morning) I tried relighting in according to instructions, but no luck. what now?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
What is the brand and model of your heater?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
whirlpool model N40S61-403 purchased in 2011 i think
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Is the igniter producing a spark?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried pressing the thermal switch on the face of the burner access panel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't know. where would i see it? do i need to take the cover off?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
You don't have to take the cover off to try resetting the thermal switch. It has 2 wires connected and a small red button between the wires. It below and to the right of the gas valve on the face of the burner access panel. As far as the spark goes it can be hard to see but you need to look into the viewing port on the other side of the panel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no red button where the wires meet. there is no spark in the viewport.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
If there's no spark you may have to replace the igniter. Since you'll have to remove the access panel to do that you can try lighting the pilot with a grill lighter or as long match in the mean time. If there's no reset on the thermal switch it may be defective. You can temporarily (for testing purposes only) connect the 2 leads on the switch/sensor together if it still won;t light with a match. To be clear, the overtemp sensor is on the burner compartment access panel and looks like the attached pic (but maybe without the button)