Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a Culligan Gold series softener, every year like clock

Customer Question

I have a Culligan Gold series softener, every year like clock work it stops work and i get a lot of rust deposits. The technician comes out replaces a little part and off he goes till the next time. At this rate I will probably have made enough service calls to buy another unit. I would like this fixed once and for all. Last year I asked for some kind of pre filter but that never happened. The unit is about 10 years old. Any suggestions?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like a sediment filter piped in the line before the softener is the solution. Either your Culligan guy isn't qualified to do this (not a licensed plumber) or he just wants to pick your pocket every year. I'd suggest you call a plumber and have him install a cartridge type sediment filter. It will probably pay for itself in a year or 2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me the name and manufacture of a good filtert
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
They are pretty generic. Cuno is probably the highest profile manufacturer but the other manufacturers have products with no real difference in quality. American Plumber is a popular brand (due its better price) available at many plumbing supply houses. One tip if you decide to change the cartridges yourself: be sure to put some silicone or other food grade grease on the o-ring in the filter housing. If you don't the large o-ring will eventually stretch and distort making it un-useable. A little grease on the housing threads as well makes it easier to get off.