Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Mark, I am a contractor with a very similar scenario as above. We had a tree fall on a

Customer Question

Mark,
I am a contractor with a very similar scenario as above. We had a tree fall on a clients house forcing a the lead vent pipe into the main plumbing joints and fracturing the sewage line. We have repaired the plumbing but it leaked some sewage for a couple of days. There is no obvios smell or anything. What should we do to treat the sewage? Thnaks.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Just dose the area where the sewage leaked with bleach then rinse it off after the bleach sets for 15+ minutes. The bleach will kill anything hazardous in the sewage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The leak is in the crawl space so there is dirt where the sewage leaked. Is this ok? What about pouring lime on it too? Thnaks.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
If it's a dirt crawl space then lime is probably a better option if it's not well ventilated. The chlorine could also cause an odor problem (some folks don't like the smell of bleach) if you can't rinse it away or dilute it.