Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

We get a high pitched whining sound when we fluch the toilet

Customer Question

We get a high pitched whining sound when we fluch the toilet or run water and turn it off.
Is there anyway to stop the "whining"?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
The 2 most likely culprits are a failing fill valve (the device that controls the water level in the tank) in the toilet or a backflow preventer on an outside faucet. The first thing to try is to disconnect any hoses from the outside faucets and see if the noise stops. If that doesn't work then you might want to replace the fill valve in the toilet tank. A FluidMaster fill valve is a good option and they are widely available. There are a few other possibilities but these 2 are the most common.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I'll post an additional services offer. There is an additional charge for a phone call