Hauserplb
Hauserplb, Plumber
Experience:  Over 20 years experience. Third generation
25685634

I HAVE A 3 YEAR OLD KOHLER DTV SHOWER SYSTEM. IT HAS AN ISSUE

Customer Question

I HAVE A 3 YEAR OLD KOHLER DTV SHOWER SYSTEM. IT HAS AN ISSUE THAT WHEN YOU TURN IT ON THERE SEEMS TO BE PLENTY OF PRESSURE. THEN WHEN IT IS GETTING CLOSE TO THE SET PRESSURE IT SEEMS THE PRESSURE GOES UP AND DOWN AND THE TEMPERATURE SEEMS IRRATIC UNTILL IT REACHES THE SET TEMP. THEN THE PRESSURE IS MINIMUL. I HAVE LOOKED AT THE VALVE WHEN I WAS IN THE ATTIC AND HAD SOMEONE TURE IT ON. THERE IS A SMALL BELT ON THE VALVE. IT SEEMS TO GO BACK AND FORTH UNTILL SET POINT IS REACHED. IT NERVER USED TO HAVE THE PRESSURE SO IRRATIC BEFORE. ITS AS IF THE TEMP AND PRESSURE CANNOT MAKE UP ITS MIND, AND IS "HUNTING" THEN STOPS AND THE PRESSURE DROPS. IS THE TEMP SENSOR OR SUCH NOT WORKING PROPERLY?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 1 year ago.
You are absolutely correct. It's part of the scald guard feature that is trying to balance the hot and cold, but is malfunctioning and therefore restricting flow completely. Lime deposits are the usual suspects.