Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

My outside faucets and sputter about 1/2 the time. sometimes

Customer Question

my outside faucets spit and sputter about 1/2 the time. sometimes the pressure seems fine, then all of a sudden the water starts to spit....lasts for a few minutes, then its fine. the faucets in the house seem to be fine --don't sputter (but lower pressure than I'd like)...any ideas?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Are you on a well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok, is the pump in the well or in the basement/pump house? do you have an aeration type water treatment system (typically for sulfur odor in the water)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pump I believe is in the well. I have an Iron curtain in the basement.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
iron curtain? does it use aeration for treatment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry! it is(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea what the Iron Curtain uses. I do know that the water coming out of the house faucets looks aerated.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
My screen is showing a payment failure so I'm not allowed to contact you by phone until we register a successful payment.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Iron removal systems typically don't use aeration but I can't say I'm familiar with every option out there. Your description indicates air is getting into the system so the likely culprits are a malfunctioning water treatment system that uses aeration or you could have a failing check valve on your submersible pump and it's letting some water drain back into the well which would let air into the line.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so I need to call my plumber to check it out right?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
You're probably better off calling a well service company, even better if they're also the same company that installed your treatment system. Many plumbers are not on top of water treatment or well issues.