Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Whirlpool Water heater Mo# ***** Gas. Pilot will not stay

Customer Question

Whirlpool Water heater Mo# ***** Gas. Pilot will not stay on. Diagnostic light does not give any indications and does not come on at all. What could be the problem and if it is the Thermopile will part #(###) ###-####work on it?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Can you light the pilot? if so does it go out when you release the dial?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes the pilot will light but goes out upon release of the dial.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok, this is a problem with the thermopile and you'll probably have to replace the thermopile/pilot assembly. I can't find any reference for that part number associated with this heater.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the lighting instructions say that the diagnostic indicator light should flash red after holding the dial in for 90 seconds after lighting the pilot. this doesn't happen. I also found that these water heaters are sold exclusively through Lowes Home Stores. So I couldn't find any parts source for this model through whirlpool but I did find similar models Numbers.That is where i saw that most use the thermopile #(###) ###-#### ***** for your time. I think a new water heater with a standing pilot may be in my near future!
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Your heater has a standing pilot. Unfortunately most new heaters have this thermopile gas valve. Have you talked to Lowes about parts (we don't deal with Lowes for water heaters)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be talking with them tomorrow. That is unfortunate about this type valve . but i'll check with them and Thanks again for your time!
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome