Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

RICK . YOU HELPED ME WITH PURGINGING A LINE AND

Customer Question

HELLO RICK . YOU HELPED ME WITH PURGINGING A LINE AND CLEANING THE SPOOLER ON MY KOHLER SHOWER , . SO I DID WHAT YOU SAID , I REMOVED THE GUT AND CLEANED THE SPOOLER AND THEN WE TURNED THE WATER ON WITH EVERYTHING OUT TO PURGE THE SYSTEM , HOWEVER NOW
I PUT EVERYTHING BACK AND I CANT SHUT THE WATER . IT SEEM TO JUST STAY ON NO MATTER WHAT POSITION . WHAT DO I DO NOW. THANKS
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I think I remember your issue. If I recall this was a Kohler K304 valve. Did you replace the small o-rings one the face of the pressure balance spool that faces the cap assembly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES SIR
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Then I have no idea why the water won't turn off based on your description
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LET ME PULL EVERTHING OUT AGAIN AND RETRY IT THE PROCEDURE ...BUT AFTER I PURGED THE LINE WITH THE GUTS OUT, AND PUT EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER, AND TURNED THE WATER BACK ON, THE DARN THING JUST KEEPS RUNNING.
IT CHANGES FROM HOT TO COLD BUT REMAINS A STAEDY STREAM OF WATER . CANT SHUT IT
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BAD CAP VALVE MAYBE ??
YOU TELL ME .
ITS WAS ONLY DRIPPING UNTIL I RAN THE SHOWER WITH THE SPOOLER AND EVERYTHING OUT , NOW ITS A CONSTANT SHOWER .
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like the small o-rings aren't where they should be. Here's a link to the parts blow up so you can see how it goes together. http://www.us.kohler.com/us/catalog/svg_viewer.jsp?productId=427158&diagram=0&iframe=true&width=1000&height=645
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I AM ALSO JUST PUTTING THE 2 RETAING SCREWS ON THE SIDE OF THE VALVE ON,
DO I NEED TO HALVE ALL 4 SCREWS IN BECAUSE I THOUGHT THE OTHER 2 JUST HELD THE OUTER HARDWARE ON .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THE 2 BOLTS OF THE CAP I MEANT
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
As I recall there are just 2 screws
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES 2 SCREWS FOR THE CAP AND THEN THE 2 THAT HOLD THE OUSTSIDE HARDWARE, COVER ANS SUCH . THAT SCREW IN ON THE TOP AND BOTTOM OF THE CAP ..
ANYWAY I TOOK IT APART AGAIN AND NOW THE WATER WILL SHUT OFF. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THAT HAPPEND TO STAY CONSTANT WATER FLOW. BUT ITS WORKING NOW. STILL DRIPS. EVEN FASTER NOW
UNFORTUNATELY
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a showerhead that has a good shutoff valve built into it, .
i think the whole assembly cap vale housing is bad or something and i would have to break a hole in the wall to fix it,
i dont use that shower anyway ,so i would like to just cap it off.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
It's possible there is a defect in the valve body. The only thing you can do now to repair the valve would be to replace the pressure balance spool and make sure the surface in the cap assembly that rides on those small o-rings is perfectly clean. You could even try putting some silicone grease on the face of those o-rings. Beyond that you could try a shower arm shut off like the one tin the attached pic. They are generic and available at any plumbing supply house or maybe even the big box stores
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes . that is exaclty what i did.
i wouldn't even know where to find the ba
lance spooler. was luck to finda darn cap.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
You can get the pressure balancing spool (for a K304)at a plumbing supply house that sells Kohler.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you mean supply house, .
like a lowes or menards ,.
i live in plainfield ill 60585 or do i just type in plumbing supplies house. in the yellow pages ,
in .
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
A plumbing supply house is where plumbers buy materials, not the big box stores. Most are local or regional but one of the largest national chains is Ferguson supply. They sell Kohler. Here's their closest branchWestmont - XpressNet6036 S Cass AveWestmont, IL 60559United StatesPhone:(###) ###-####istance:13.6 miles