Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

So here's the issue. I have a double sink, big side(on the

Customer Question

So here's the issue. I have a double sink, big side(on the left) and little side(on the right). The garbage disposal is on the left side. The dishwasher is to the right of the sink. (in case it is relevant). Whenever the sink slows down, I need to turn
on the disposal to clear it. (I don't use the disposal regularly for food disposal.) Whenever I turn it on, it backflushes up the drain on the right hand side. I usually set the clean dishes there after I wash them so it creates a mess. Would it make a difference
to put the disposal on the left? or would it just push up the other side anyways? I notice a hose from the dishwasher goes to the disposal too.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 1 year ago.
No, reversing the position won't help. The only way to cure the issue is to pipe the drain from the disposal into the house piping seperately from the other sink basin. Many times a house is only plumbed with one inlet to the house piping. You can have a seperate inlet cut into the piping, but it would probably require cutting into the wall under the sink.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmmm... Ok. I was hoping it would be an easy fix. I even told my husband that that is what i want for my birthday. A sink that doesn't backwash.
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 1 year ago.
It's not terribly difficult, but it's not a 1/2 hour fix either. You will simply have to cut another T into the drain line in the wall, and install a trap on the disposal to attach to that T
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks. I'll get that priced. Sounds a little out of my league. I did fix the dishwasher though thanks to you guys :-)
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 1 year ago.
Good Luck!!