Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a kohler toilet. The toilet does not leak water normally.

Customer Question

I have a kohler toilet. The toilet does not leak water normally. However, whenever it is flushed it is taking about 20 minutes to fill up. The water supply is strong. It appears that the water is running into the toilet bowl. I have already replace the seal on the flush canister. What needs to be fixed and how?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the fill valve needs to be flushed out. Here are links with the procedure for more recent Kohler modelsOne piece toilets2 piece toilets
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put a new fill valve on it already. There is plenty of water coming out of the fill valve.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Water runs into the bowl as long as the fill valve is letting water into the tank. If no water leaks into the bowl after the flow from the fill valve stops then there can't be " plenty of water coming out of the fill valve " if it takes 20 minutes to fill the tank.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This toilet has a canister style flush valve. The hose from the fill valve hooks into the top of the canister. Right in the center at the top. If I take the hose off and just let the water run into the tank, outside of the canister, the tank will fill in 42 seconds.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Every flush valve style has the refill tube dump into the over flow. That's how the bowl refills. What you describe is not typical (the fill times with the hose in or out) and a bit baffling since the hose is a fraction of the diameter of the discharge into the tank from the fill valve. The pressure to both(hose and base of fill valve) is the same so like I said before, the flow into the tank from the fill valve can't be adequate if it takes 20 minutes to fill the tank. Your most recent description implies that the flow from the refill house is significantly greater than from the fill valve into the tank. So I suppose it's possible you have a defective fill valve.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The first thing I did was replace the fill valve. It will fill the tank in 42 seconds, which is faster than all of the other toilets in the house. It is only when the water line is connected to the canister that the water continues to run into the toilet for long periods of time. I thought it might be the seal on the canister so I have already replaced that. It did not make any difference. As I said, plenty of water is coming from the fill valve.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
The canister seal doesn't make any difference since it only stops water from going into the bowl from the tank. What you're telling me doesn't add up. I've given you my assessment based on your description. Maybe one of my colleagues has another take on this. I'm going to open this backup to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond(even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.