Hauserplb
Hauserplb, Plumber
Experience:  Over 20 years experience. Third generation
25685634

Sir: this is the problem that I am facing and nobody in

Customer Question

Hi Sir: this is the problem that I am facing and nobody in home depot or low's or other places were able to help me:
I had a leak on one of my showers upstairs so i opened everything and i bought a
new divert er and cartridge and put things back together,but now any time i run the water in one of the shower in the other rooms or run the washing machine this shower also starts running,i changed the cartridge for a second time but the problem stays,so would you please tell me what my next step of trouble shooting might be.
thanks
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 1 year ago.
What is happening is the water is back flushing from the other fixture to your shower valve. For whatever reason, it's bypassing your cartridge. This could be for a few reasons. One, you could have a bad o-ring on the cartridge. Two, you could have calcium deposits on the valve body that isn't allowing the cartridge to seal properly. Three the valve body could be eroded, not allowing the cartridge to seal. O-ring and calcium deposits are easy enough to fix. However an eroded valve body will require a full valve replacement. You will have to inspect the valve to determine which could be the case.