Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

An upstairs toilet in our house (that we rent) overflowed slowly days without bei

Customer Question

An upstairs toilet in our house (that we rent) overflowed slowly for four days without being noticed and leaked through the floor to the kitchen below. I have no doubt that my son plugged the toilet, but he swears that he plunged it right before we left on vacation. How can this happen, and what should we do first? Also, the toilets in this house are always getting clogged.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
The first thing to do is to clear the stoppage in the bowl. Plunging doesn't always clear a stoppage. You're probably going to need to run a specially designed snake called a closet auger through the bowl. The bowl probably overflowed because the flapper in the bottom of the tank is leaking by so replacing the flapper should also be done.As far as the toilets clogging frequently; the first generation 1.6 gallon toilets often had a poor flushing action and were prone to clogging up. The more recent models are much better.