Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Should I see standing water in my shower drain? It flows fine

Customer Question

Should I see standing water in my shower drain? It flows fine but why does it not drain fully?
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Signed up and paid $5.00 in good faith just to get a response to my question. So far, no response in over an hour.Jay
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay, I just saw this when I logged in this morning. If you mean you can see water when you look down into the drain pipe then what you're seeing is the water in the trap which never drains out. This water is what prevents sewer gas from coming into the house. So this would be normal and nothing to be concerned about
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks but what about the second part as to the clogging of the drain pipe from flushing the e The toilet flushes fine but somewhere down the line there is a restriction.
However, when I run water in the sink next to the toilet and tub ( seemingly in the same drain line) I can see the accumulated paper etc. flow out the main drain leading to the sewer system .Your thoughts?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Your description is not clear. Is the water backing up? If not then you may have a settled drain line (drain has lost its pitch/slope). This could lead to a complete stoppage at some point. The only way to know for sure what's going would be to have a drain cleaning service put a camera down the line to check it out