Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

In a building with 5 apartments, one owner had some plumbing

Customer Question

In a building with 5 apartments, one owner had some plumbing work done during kitchen renovation. The next day all units have only hot water coming from both faucets.
Any ideas what may cause this?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome to Just answer. The plumber has simply cross connected the Hot and cold water piping, down stream from the hot water heater... by mistake...this would be especially accurate if there is a hot water circulating pump in the system, the pump would force hot water in a loop through both the hot water and cold water lines, displacing the cold water pressure at the cold water taps Is this a tank type, or an on demand type hot water heater. Is there a hot water circulating pump in the system that runs to provide hot water to all the hot taps on demand at all times? If you can take 5 or 6 photo's of the hot water piping from 4 to 8 feet away and attach them here using the paper clip icon I might be able to see the error. Do the following test please, turn the hot water circulating pump off and tell me if you then get cold water from the cold water taps or not... that may or may not expose the error depending on the details of how the job was plumbed. We can go from there. .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will send photos requested by noon tomorrow PDT. Will you have time to review them tomorrow?Thank you, Michelle
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Yes I will have plenty of time to review the photo's tomorrow, however without being able to see all the pipes in the system, inside walls and floor etc I may or may not be able to see the error...be sure to focus on the piping around any pump you see in the system... from a **distance though, so that I can see all of the pipes connected to it in context... close ups in this case will not do me much good. If you can tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town or city I can look for a well rated master plumber in the area... that will very likely end up being our best solution. We can go from there.