Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I live in Joliet, IL. My house was built in 1960 and I have a sump pit with pump in the co

Customer Question

I live in Joliet, IL. My house was built in 1960 and I have a sump pit with pump in the corner of my basement. We have had a lot of rain this year and I understand that there is a lot of ground water because of that. So anyways, entering into the sump pit through the concrete wall of the pit (about 2' below the basement floor level) is a 5/8" rubber hose which I believe comes from outside somewhere. Water continuously pours into the pit (almost like what comes out of a hose on the outside water spigot). My sump pump cycles pretty much every 2-3 minutes because the pit keeps getting filled by this water from this hose thing. Any ideas what this little hose comes from and why all of the water keeps flowing through it? From what I can tell there are two inlets into the sump pit...one being this little hose and the other inlet which is about 2 1/2" in diameter is connected to the two floor drains in my basement. I am on well and septic if that matters.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
It would make no sense for this hose to be coming from outside. Do you have central AC? could this be the AC condensate drain? do you have hot water heat? this hose could be connected to the relief valve blow off pipe on the boiler or even a water heater. Check those relief valves to see where/how the discharge is connected/where it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is neither of those. I see my AC condensate drain and I see the hot water blow off pipe. This hose is piped in the concrete of the basement floor or at least the part that I can see. It comes through the actual wall of the sump pit about 2' deep.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
That really doesn't tell me anything. All I can tell you is the likely things it might be connected to. It could even just be ground water.