Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I live in a two flat on the first floor. In October the second floor toilet started backin

Customer Question

I live in a two flat on the first floor. In October the second floor toilet started backing up into the first floor toilet And tub. We got an auger and started routing. Went from first floor all the way to mainline to street. Eventually did something right and order was restored. In April the madness started Again. We rodded again and after about 20 minutes and two wash clothes that got pulled out of the tub order was again restored. This time however for only 8 hours. What is causing this to keep happening? We never rodded the upstairs, but the first floor and the basement and the mainline. Could the problem be up there?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
If the sewage is backing up into your unit then the stoppage is below you (down stream). It sounds like there is a defect (broken pipe, settled pipe) in the main drain line. Since this has happened repeatedly you really need to have a camera put down the drain line to see what's going on.