Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

I used 40" of 1/2 csst outdoor fire pit and it whistles,

Customer Question

I used 40" of 1/2 csst for an outdoor fire pit and it whistles, My hose came plumbed with 1/2 csst so I figured the line was big enough. it I put a regulator at the end of the csst before it get to the pit will it settle down the whistle?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plmqwk replied 1 year ago.
I would think a regulator would restrict the flow to much IF you have a 1/2 lb gas system. If you are running off a 2 lb pressure gas system then yes definitely install a regulator. The whistle is the gas flowing through the tube. It will make that noise flowing through CSST regardless of the size. If the pit is whistling WHILE it is burning I think the best thing is to try turning down the shut off valve. See if you can find a "sweet spot" with it that give you enough flame to enjoy the pit but no whistle. Usually the tube only whistles when not burning gas through an appliance etc.