Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

We have a Kohler K-400-K Thermostatic Mixing Valve. The temperature

Customer Question

We have a Kohler K-400-K Thermostatic Mixing Valve. The temperature balance is not consistent. I have stripped off all the trim, down to the shaft coming out of the valve body. Turing the shaft, which should adjust the temperature, does nothing. It also does not seem to have firm stops. I plan to turn off our water tomorrow and pull out the guts of the valve. Am I wasting my time trying to clean or adjust the interior of the valve? Any suggestions much appreciated!!
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
There's a low probability that pulling it apart and cleaning it will make any difference but if you can do without use of this shower (until you can get a new cartridge) then it's worth a shot. Since this model has integral shut offs you can isolate the valve and leave it shut off if there's an issue after you put it back together.