Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

My name is ***** ***** I have a Rinnai Thankless hot

Customer Question

hi my name is ***** ***** I have a Rinnai Thankless hot water heater model continuum 2532 Water pressure seams fine but when opening sower hot water it keeps pupping the fuse breaker by the way this unit is 10 years old never
been serviced or cleaned can you suggest wrath course of action should I take. by the way the breaker was changed with anew 20 amp breaker and it got worst breaker now pups constantly do I have the wright fuse breaker?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. At what point does it trip the breaker? Have you tried operating something else in the outlet that the water heater is plugged into?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
I am actually about to log off for the night. I will opt out and open to other experts.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help with your issue.
Yes a 20 amp breaker is appropriate. The most likely culprit is a short in the fan motor or an overload in the fan motor based on your description. There's also a possibility that the solenoid valve(s) have an intermittent short. You should check all the electrical connections for broken or frayed leads. If that doesn't turn up the problem the next thing you need to do is put an amp probe on the fan lead and watch the amp draw when the breaker pops.