Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

My toilet is slow to drain. I have tried plunging it and still

Customer Question

My toilet is slow to drain. I have tried plunging it and still slow. I checked all the other drains and they are flowing fine. what do you recommend as I see Drano is not to be used in toilets
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plmqwk replied 1 year ago.
If the toilet is old or seems to have a lot of hard water build up I recommend using a product called SANTEEN. You pour about half the bottle directly into the overflow tube of your tank. (The overflow tube is usually in the very center of the tank once you remove the lid. It should be sticking up above the full tank water level about an inch or so. It will be about and 1 1/4" in diameter. The other thing that could be happening is a partial clog in your toilet trap way. Plunging doesn't always fix this completely. I recommend purchasing a "closet auger" at any home improvement place. and using that to snake the toilet. They have a larger coil than a hand rodding snake to help remove anything caught up in the trapway. They will cost around $20.