Brian
Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.
63187465

Our cesspool needed pumping twice in one week, and on the second

Customer Question

our cesspool needed pumping twice in one week, and on the second pumping, we left the plug out, and looked and listened inside. We heard and saw a constant trickle coming from the cottage side of the cesspool (NOT the main house side), and troubleshot by taking turns shutting off each interior water source in the cottage. Finally we narrowed it down to the upstairs toilet. When we shut off the water supply to the toilet, the trickle-leak stops, and resumes when we turn on the toilet water supply. We had this problem a few years ago, and noticed the toilet tank would frequently recycle, and plugged a leak where the tank exhaust to the bowl connected. THIS time, there's no tank-cycling, is there some internal bypass valve that somehow spills over into the blackwater exhaust pipe, or something like that? It's driving me nuts trying to figure out the problem, , our water bill is humongous (Water ain't cheap in Hawaii), and the cesspool pump isn't cheap either. Any suggestions on how to find the problem and fix it?
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told about an hour ago that my wait time would be 8 minutes. What's up gang? Please let me know if I can step out for dinner. Thank you. Hugh
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Hi sorry about the wait. If its a push button flush they often leak into the pan and its barely visible put a piece of tissue on the back inside wall of the bowl to just double check its not leaking into there first
Then lift the lid of the cistern to see if the level is high.
The only overflow you should have should be into the pan or to an open pipe where it will be very visible.
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brian-It's not a push button, just a good ol'-fashioned lever push. Hugh
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Hi Hugh
Thanks for getting back
If its a normal lever then its got to be the ball valve that's letting by and causing the overflow. Is the water in the cistern high?
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
No not Cesspool.
The toilet tank where you flush you need to turn it on and check the level if it goes high you need to replace the valve that controls the level. You wont necessarily hear it constantly filling as the noise is muffled due to the height of the water
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When we had that problem before, we could hear the audible whine of the water refilling the tank. Also, IT SEEMS I've made TWO deposits, one yesterday, and one today, I'll be contacting my credit card company to assure that only one payment is made, and that's only IF your answer works. Please be advised that my computer is desktop, in the main house, and the toilet is in the cottage on the second floor, so any time I check on something or do something, it's a hike and takes time. Would it help to switch to live call, and is that ab extrra cost?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll be a(way) f(rom) c(omputer) while I check on the toilet, is there some simple test I can do to check the ballcock?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Damn!! Sure enough, the water in the toilet tank was constantly agitated, and the ballcock allowed the level just high enough so water was constantly sliding down the pipe, and it WAS silent. Call me dumb for relying on past experience of audible sound. Is there a way to adjust the ballcock assembly, or do we need to replace it?
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
I have noted you have posted two questions I have sent this to the moderators but you can cancel it with them if they have not already done so.
There is sometimes a little screw on the arm but to be honest if its letting by then its usually broken and needs replacing.
Brian
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
How did you get on?