Plmqwk
Plmqwk, Master Plumber
Experience:  20+ years in plumbing field. Licensed master plumber, commercial plumbing inspector
47536969

I accidently put two small holes into a wall and forgot

Customer Question

I accidently put two small holes into a wall and forgot there's a 3 inch drain PVC pipe behind. I had a plumber come out; he cut a hole in the wall; cut a small section (location of nail holes), then added a 6 inch piece of 3 inch PVC pipe and secured
it with two 3 inch rubber couplings. The problem--there isn't a lot of room to put new drywall back. I'm thinking there is 1/8 of inch space around the rubber coupling. I noticed that a plastic 3 inch coupling is not as thick as the rubber coupling and would
add 1/16-1/8 inch of space. Is there another solution to this problem where I could get the drywall installed? I texted a picture of the pipe to a plumber I've used in the past and he indicated that there's another way to fix it, but he would not tell me.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plmqwk replied 1 year ago.
obviously you have a 3" PVC pipe running vertically in a 2x4 wall.
The outer diameter of 3" PVC is 3 5/8". A typical 2 x 4 is 1 5/8" x 3 5/8" as well.
The outer rubber boot was used because you have little if any ability to move a ridgid glued coupling into place in such tight quarters. That said a PVC coupling would still take up space dimension equalling 4 1/8" at least.
One solution would be to open the drywall so access can be granted in a ceiling or floor joist so the couplings or boot can be installed there for a new full length piece of pipe in the wall section. This only works if access can be granted at both high and lower connections not actually IN the vertical wall portion.
Hope this helps!