Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer.
Experience:  Retired mech. contractor, shop owner, 51 yrs experience.
23932409

2ND OPIONION...accidently put two small holes into a

Customer Question

2ND OPIONION Request...I accidently put two small holes into a wall and forgot there's a 3 inch drain PVC pipe behind. I had a plumber come out; he cut a hole in the wall; cut a small section (location of nail holes), then added a 6 inch piece of 3 inch PVC pipe and secured
it with two 3 inch rubber couplings. The problem--there isn't a lot of room to put new drywall back. I'm thinking there is 1/8 of inch space around the rubber coupling. I noticed that a plastic 3 inch coupling is not as thick as the rubber coupling and would
add 1/16-1/8 inch of space. Is there another solution to this problem where I could get the drywall installed? I texted a picture of the pipe to a plumber I've used in the past and he indicated that there's another way to fix it, but he would not tell me.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome to Just answer.
The other way to fix it is called a 'repair coupling' there are various types, I will mark the thinnest on on the screen shot below.
http://screencast.com/t/ormjVZuQ4
It sounds so far like a vent pipe, with no water in it. Some of us would have used stainless steel wood screws about 1/2" long to plug the holes with a dab of urethane roof sealant under the heads of the screws and a big dab over the top of screw head. That would be legal in some jurisdictions for vent pipe, and maybe not in others.
its too late for that now however.
-----------------
We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Phil! See the attached picture. This is the job I paid another plumber to do, but as you can see, there's only 1/8 of an inch of space for Drywall...not a lot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Based on what is shown in the picture, should I have the plumber return; remove the rubber coupling and install the plastic 3 inch pvc coupling, which is a little thinner than the rubber coupling? This should give me an additional 1/16th - 1/8 of an inch. This should give me close to 1/4 of an inch of space for drywall, which I can have an drywall expert manipulate (shave down in area of coupling) and install.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries...I will rate an excellent...I always do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The first guy that answered my question was great and I rated him excellent. Since I signed up for the premium service, I decided to get a second opinion.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, I have not seen the first answer.
If you can push the PVC back with only modest pressure, an 1/8" or more, you can then cut out the space between the studs and fit these heavy steel straps in place after pushing the pipe back. then nail them in place. cut a recess into the studs so that the straps are flush.
If the pipe moves easily you only need one strap in the middle
Here is a screen shot of that.
http://screencast.com/t/ZHCcSVbUg
Let me know what you think, we can go from there.
.....
If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge.