Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

We just moved into a new house. when the utilities company

Customer Question

Hi, we just moved into a new house. when the utilities company came to turn on the gas we were told that there was carbon monoxide leaking into the garage where water heater is. I checked for any blockages in the flue pipe and there is none. what else could be causing this problem?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Is anything else in the garage? how did they know there was CO in the garage? was it showing up when the heater was running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing else in the garage. I'm guessing that his CO detector picked it up. his exact words were, I can't turn on your water heater because the carbon monoxide is leaking back into the garage. then he told us that there could be a blockage in the flue pipe. but there was no blockage at all. he left a service card that said "downdraft"
is the reason it's a hazardous condition
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
How is the heater vented? does it have a fan? does it go through the roof or out the side wall?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Through the roof. It's a one story house so it was pretty easy to check if there was a blockage.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Did you check inside the flue passage of the tank?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
How far above the roof does the vent extend?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got above the water heater and I pulled out this long thin spiral metal piece. I didn't pull it all the way out because I didn't know what it was
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it extends a pretty good way at least two and a half or three feet
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
It's a baffle, did you look inside the flue passage? inside the combustion chamber?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not. what should I look for in there?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Any obstruction besides the baffle in the flue passage. Any debris/rust in the chamber and/or on the burner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a yellow hose that is connected to the water heater but not connected to anything else
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is very difficult to add pictures and send them on this website
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for sending the same pictures over and over
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I don't see a yellow hose. I see the baffle which should be in the tank flue passage. I assume the vent was connected at some point and it's only disconnected now because you're checking it out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. thats correct. I'm trying to send you a picture of the yellow hose now
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is it
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok, there's no way this water heater can produce carbon monoxide. That "hose" is the gas connector. The water heater isn't even hooked up to a gas line.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
If you got a high CO level in the garage and the water heater is the only gas burning appliance in the garage then the only place CO could come from is your car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it possible that the gas company disconnected the water heater?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
All they have the authority to do is turn it off and lock you meter if conditions are bad enough
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the flue passage. I took out the coil thing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I don't see anything wrong. You haven't given me any indication that anything is wrong with this heater other than the fact that the gas isn't connected.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any more questions?