Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

2nd Floor laundry room. Getting new front load stack from LG.

Customer Question

House built in 1986 in Henrico VA.
There is/was a drain pan under the old washer, but it was in really bad shape. Pan was soldered to 1" copper pipe going down into floor. (No idea where it goes).
Back wall has normal copper pipes up to splashbox/shutoff with waste pipe in middle (ABS). ABS goes down to P trap on left and then over 6-8" and to the main 2" ABS pipe that goes to sewer below and vent up top.
There is a clean-out at the base of the floor.
I need to add a larger drain on the floor that ties into the stack.
Question:
I would like to add a 2" p-trap drain (with trap primer) on the floor. Can I just tie this into the stack below the floor under the clean-out? What parts would I need when transitioning to the main laundry stack?
I have pictures and drawings, which would help.
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
A video call incurs an additional charge. If you have drawings & pictures we can probably handle this in this interface. My initial answer is yes you can tie it into the washing machine drain line and as you said you'll need a trap primer. We usually don't do it this way because if the drain backs up it will flood the pan. With a separate pan drain (typically an indirect drain) if the drain backs up the water has somewhere to go.