Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

We cemented in backwater valve yesterday? Will inside sewage

Customer Question

we cemented in backwater valve yesterday? Will inside sewage still be able to flow to outside of house or did we make a big mistake?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I'm assuming you installed it in your sewer main as it leaves the house. No you didn't make a big mistake but there are a few things you need to be aware of. First you MUST check it periodically. Every month at first then at longer intervals if you don't have to clean it every time. If you don't clean it/check it paper and other waste can get hung up on the seat and the valve won't seal tight when you need it. Second, when it actually does what it's designed to do you won't be able to let anything down the drain in the house or that will back up and you'll have the same problem you had with no backwater valve only the back up will be raw sewage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still not sure I understand. If we cemented in the hole, how will things flow out of the house?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I wasn't sure where this back water valve was located so I made an assumption at the start of my response. My answer follows that assumption. The other more or less common location for a back water valve is in a WYE branch off the sewer main. This branch (which typically terminates in an open end in a pit) is intended to take surface water from the basement. Now it sounds like you filled in that pit with concrete which is ok if you capped the open end. If you didn't cap the open end then it's not a huge deal but it's not code compliant. Let me know if you did something else