Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Construction Worker
Experience:  30 years experience in construction, City and Guilds qualified.
46681511

Why am I having such a large usage of water. In March

Customer Question

why am I having such a large usage of water. In March for 13 days the water company said that I use 7,000 gallons of water and than for the next billing cycle they said that I had used 18,000 gallons of water in a 29 day period how is that?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.
Perhaps you can take readings every day?
Is the meter still going around when you turn off your main stoptap?
Is your meter still turning when you have everything in the house turned off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. The water has been turn off at the meter if that is what you call the main stoptab. because after the reading on May 5 had them to come out and check to see if there is a leak in the house and we notice that there was water leaking from meter which had not been there before a week later.
also this has been an issue with the last two tenants that lived here before from my understanding after talking to them.
2. Nothing is running because it is shut off at the meter box as instructed by JEA
What they should do is monitor for the next billing period once the leak is fixed and then adjust the bills to suit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this was happening way before the leak started in the meter box sir
To know if you have leak on the line you need to turn off everything in the property and then turn the water back on near the meter and then see if it clocks up still, if it does then it will be on the line - usually underground.