Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Construction Worker
Experience:  30 years experience in construction, City and Guilds qualified.
46681511

I have just had mixer taps installed in my bathroom and

Customer Question

I have just had mixer taps installed in my bathroom and kitchen, by a plumber. Though the hot water pressure was fine when there were individual taps, the hot water pressure in my bathroom is lower, so that the mixer tap needs to be turned almost fully
round to get hot water, but then the pressure is OK. However, in my kitchen, just fitted, the hot water is just a trickle, and only when on full hot water. The plumber is puzzled. My geyser is a 6 year old pressurised geyser, 150 litres, in the roof above
the bathroom. What could be the problem? How do I fix this to get reasonable hot water in my kitchen?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.
Does you new tap have flexible hoses underneath, or is it copper?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The hoses are flexible.
Did the old ones?
Flexible hoses let less water through them as they are thinner.
They also let less water through if they get twisted.
It may be worth looking underneath and seeing what sort of installation they have done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. The old pipes were not flexible hoses, but the cold water has good pressure, so it probably is not the size of the flexible pipes. The hot one may be twisted and I am waiting for my plumber to come at the weekend, so see what he says about the flexible hoses. I will contact you if he is not able to fix the problem.
OK, no problem - let me know