Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

1. Trying to help a friend in northern AZ. She left the garden

Customer Question

1. Trying to help a friend in northern AZ. She left the garden hose attached to a Woodford frost-less outdoor faucet all winter.
Now in the spring I’ve detached the hose and see that the faucet drips water at a pretty good rate. The faucet stem is stuck – can’t turn on or off. I suspect that the entire unit must be replaced. Agree?
2 The home has no basement, just a crawl space. The faucet enters the home at the level of the first floor. I see no way to access the faucet from the crawl space to disconnect it (it’s above the level of the first floor sheathing -- can’t access from below).
It appears that I must tear into the drywall on the first floor inside the home to access the faucet connection to replace the faucet. Can this be right? I find this hard to believe.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes2. Unfortunately yes; it's an all too common practice, particularly among spec builders, to install a frost-pruf sillcock expecting it to last forever and never need to be turned off.