Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

G'day, we have a Rinnai REU-VR2426W system and it has a problem

Customer Question

G'day, we have a Rinnai REU-VR2426W system and it has a problem in that the water flow through our taps appears to be too little to activate the system to get hot water. We can get warm water but not hot unless two or more taps are turned on in the house at the same time. This problem has been getting worse over the last year. I have checker that the mains tap is opened fully.
Could it be the cold water inlet screen that is blocked? Or is there another adjustment that can be made to rectify this?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience as a plumber. I'll be glad to assist you today. It certainly does sound like the inlet filter is blocked. I have downloaded the filter cleaning instructions here:
http://wikisend.com/download/106640/cleaning rinnai inlet filter.pdf
If you have never flushed the unit it will almost certainly need that done also as it is recommended to be done yearly. If you feel that is within your comfort zone then let me know. I will be glad to instruct you how to flush the unit also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Mike, I removed and cleaned the inlet filter, it was partially blocked with sediment etc. this however, has not rectified the problem. Would you please be so kind as to send instructions on how to flush the unit.
Simon
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
You will need a bucket, two washing machine hoses, a couple gallons of vinegar and a small pump. Fill the bucket with 3 parts water and one part vinegar. Hook the hoses to the hot and cold service ports. Turn the gas and power off and turn the service port ball valves to the service position then pump the water/vinegar solution into the cold service port direct the hose on the hot water service port back into the bucket. Let the solution cycle like that for at least 30 minutes. If the solution seems to be getting a lot of debris then replace the solution and restart the process. This will break up any scale buildup and clean the inside. This should be done yearly.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?