Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer.
Experience:  Retired mech. contractor, shop owner, 51 yrs experience.
23932409

I am having a water hammer issue with my two toilets. I have

Customer Question

I am having a water hammer issue with my two toilets. I have replaced the guts on both as well as installed two mini arrestors. After all that I changed the cartridge in my front shower which seemed to solve the issue, now, about 4 months later it has come back. The only way I can stop it is by reducing the water flow into both toilets, which I do not feel is a real solution.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help with your issue.

What's the water pressure in the house?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pressure reads 60 with no load on the system
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a solution for you. Sounds like you've tried the normal fixes. Maybe one of my colleagues has some other option.

I'm going to open this backup to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! I will do my best to assist you with an answer.[b/]. I offer training and step by step coaching beyond that.

If you have room to replace one of the mini water hammer arrestors with a 2 gallon, potable water rated, expansion tank, that has about a 98% chance of working.

http://www.structuretech1.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Expansion-tank-installed.jpg

If you do not have a water pressure regulator at the city water supply line inside your house, fit one, and set it to 45 psig, that will have an equal chance of solving the problem.

If you fit larger water hammer arrestors in addition to either of these measures you will have a near 100% guaranteed solution.

Let me know if you have a water pressure regulator on your city water supply line inside the house or not. we can go from there until we get the problem solved.

---------

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an expansion tank off the water heater, not sure about a pressure regulator, woumd say I dont have one. Why is it, if I change the cartridge in my front shower faucet, the problem goes away?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, I have no earthly idea what could be going on with the cartridge at your shower faucet or why replacing it solved the problem but only lasted 4 months... that is a very unusual sort of anomaly.

We could a long time trying to sort that issue out and still never come to a conclusion...

It will be most fruitful to focus on the basic physics of water hammer and approach it from that direction and solve the problem on those basics.

-----------------

The higher the water pressure, the harder it slams a dead head when water flow is suddenly shut off. Lowering the water pressure lowers that potential.

That is why we need to look for a water pressure regulator or fit one and set the pressure lower. 45 psig is a good number, 60 psig is common, but if you are having water hammer issues, we might very well eliminate them at 45 psig.

---------------
The bladder in your existing expansion tank might be broken, if thats the case you will have water hammer and other problems... they come with 25 psig of air them, that runs up to the city water pressure of course when in use.

Depress the schraeder valve core on the end of the tank *very briefly, 1/2 a second, if water comes out, you need a new expansion tank... and that would solve the problem in most cases.

--------------

http://screencast.com/t/1vYLRSL4dg2

water pressure regulator

Look all that over please, we can go from there.

...............

.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ill check that when I vet home in about an hour and report back, how difficult is the pressure regulator to install?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
If you have copper tube running from the city water shut off valve inside your house, it will be very easy, using 'shark bite' fittings.

Screw the shark bite fittings into the valve on each end using Teflon tape, then cut the copper line, and poke it into the shark bite fittings, have the sales clerk set you up, he will need to know the exact outside diameter of the copper tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEsqtSA7HsM

If its galvanized steel pipe its much more difficult.

.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No water In The expansion tank and the pile going into the house is PVC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

http://screencast.com/t/DEQHqTit

buy two of those and ask the plumbing clerk to fix you up with a small can of primer and a can of the appropriate glue.

use a tire air pressure gage to make sure there is 60 psig of air pressure in the expansion tank, if not use a bicycle tire pump to add air... do that with one of the cold water taps very *slightly open.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I get the reguator at home depot and can it be installedmboth vertically or horizontally
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
If you can find 'rector seal pipe dope *rated for PVC it will be better than teflon tape.

If there is no give and take in the existing pvc after you cut it... buy a pvc repair coupling to make the pipe length adjustable

http://screencast.com/t/hmDh0YO2Pd4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so9XZS0aD1s

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can the valence installed horizontally, I dont think I have enough room on the horizontal pipe to install the valve vertically
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Which brand and model number water pressure regulator did you buy? Virtually all of them can be installed horizontally.

Can you elaborate extensively on the 'valence' term?

.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was supposed to say valve, I would need to install it on a vertical section of PC.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
If you have the Watts brand valve you can install it in the vertical position... most other brands will accommodate a vertical installation as well

http://screencast.com/t/kr1fweSY