Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

Noritz cuts out only in one bath room, all other fixtures

Customer Question

Noritz 69 cuts out only in one bath room, all other fixtures ok ?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I will do my best to assist you with an answer.[b/]. I offer training and step by step coaching beyond that.
So far you have taken every sensible measure than any real competent plumber would, I am at a bit of a loss here myself. We can think about it together a bit however.
Put a 2 gallon plastic bucket under the shower head and time the hot water flow to fill the bucket... we are looking for a flow of at least 0.7 GPM.
If the flow is less than than the repeat the test with shower head removed.
Tell me the brand on the shower valve, if its moen we may have found the problem.
We can go from there, I will be in for another hour tonight, then back in the morning if I miss you tonight.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shower head is a Pegasus with mixing valve.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, I need the flow rate tested with the shower head in place, and the hot water wide open, and no cold water running....
Then I need the flow rate with the shower head shower head unscrewed.
And I need to be sure that its all hot water not a mix with cold water, for now you take that measurement by feeling the pipe, the shower head pipe should feel the same temperature as the hot water line leaving the water heater after 2 minutes.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used a 3.5 gal bucket with shower head on and mixing valve all the way on hot . It took 1min 36 sec to fill
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the test. Was the water so hot that you could barely hold your hand in it, I need to make sure that some cold water is not mixing in and *displacing the hot... that happens with Moen and some other brands.
we need to be very picky with this testing, because low *hot water flow is about all that will cause that problem.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's hot but not so hot my hand couldn't stand it
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,
See if there is a removable panel on the wall behind the shower fixtures where you can shut the cold water supply valve off to the shower, or if there is one in the crawl space under the house.
At this point, its probably a long shot,especially since the hot water was probably in the 120F range, which is at normal setting for hot water from the Noritz.
We can wait a bit on that while you and I both think about it.
Respond to this post *tomorrow morning, I will sleep on it, that helps sometimes.
...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No crawl space slab, sheet rock wall behind mixing valve , but I can go in attic cut cold water line to shower and plug or install a valve. Good idea I'll try tomorrow thanks
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
You are an ambitious man. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
.