Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

Rinnai infinity 26 stopped working after I cleaned the water

Customer Question

Rinnai infinity 26 stopped working after I cleaned the water filter
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I turned power off before cleaning then back on again
I have checked internal fuses and power outlet is working
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience as a plumber. I'll be glad to assist you today. Is the power no longer on to the unit? Does water still flow through the unit but it is not heating? Was it working before cleaning the filter? Is there an error code? Did you also turn off the gas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Power is on. Water flows fine. Gas wasnt turned off. Was working fine before cleaning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No error code as not using a water controller
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I cleaned the filter, I flushed water out of the filter opening before reinserting the filter.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
If you found some sediment in the filter you may want to remove the filter and check to see if something got caught in the piping that is blocking the flow sensor. If you remove the filter and replace it again that may be all it takes to free up the flow sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried that. Can't find anything blocking it
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
Does the flow seem as strong as it was before? Is the shut off a gate valve or ball valve?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Flow is better now. Shutoff is ball valve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called a plumber and he has fixed it. Grit had got into the flow meter and jammed it
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
There must me a blockage in the heat exchanger or flow sensor. If you have never flushed the water heater then that would be a very good start. It should be flushed once per year. If flushing it does not work then it very well may be the flow sensor has failed. In that case then test the flow sensor with a multimeter to confirm that it opens and closes when proper flow is received.
Was typing this as you replied last.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
It is unfortunate that you had to call a plumber to do the very thing I suggested in the first place. If there is any more that I can do certainly let me know. If you have that kind of sediment in your system then it may be beneficial to install a sediment filter. Also flushing the water heater will certainly help extend efficient performance.
Flushing the water heater should be done yearly. You would need a small pump, bucket, washer hoses and a few gallons of vinegar.
Fill a 5 gallon bucket half vinegar and half water. Unplug the power of the Rimmai. Turn the valve shut offs so that the service ports are open. Hook a hose to each service port of the water heater and hook the hose for the cold service port to the pump and direct the hose on the hot service port to the bucket. Pump the solution into the cold and out the hot back into the bucket. Let that cycle for at least 30 minutes. This will remove any other grit and also clean any scale buildup on the heat exchanger.