Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I too have a Paloma PTG2-42PVP tankless water heater where

Customer Question

I too have a Paloma PTG2-42PVP tankless water heater where sometimes it flashes 76 while heating and then sometimes stops heating with an error message of C4. Any other suggestions?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
A 76 error is a remote control fault. It's usually either a bad remote or the remote cable connections are faulty. The next time this happens disconnect the remote then turn on the hot water. If the unit fires up then one of the above is the likely culprit. If it doesn't then the control board is the likely culprit. There should be another number that displays after you get a C4 (like 76)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Rick, Thanks. How do I disconnect the remote? and yes after I get a C4 it alternates with 76. Also sometimes when the heater is on and functioning I see a flashing 76 instead of the 114 tempreture setting.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Just follow the remote cable into the unit and disconnect it inside the unit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I've disconnected the two pair of wires (4 wires total) leading from the remote at the unit. I turned on the water faucet and nothing happened. From what I gather you are suggesting that the control panel is the culprit. Does this mean I need to find a new control panel? How can I get a new control panel? John
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
The service manual says if you disconnect the remote and the unti doesn't respond when you turn on a faucet (be sure you have good flow out of the faucet >.5 GPM) then the board should be replaced. Your best bet for a new board is a local plumbing supply house that sells Paloma.