Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer.
Experience:  Retired mech. contractor, shop owner, 51 yrs experience.
23932409

We purchased a 5 year old

Customer Question

We purchased a 5 year old home recently and have 4 down pipes in a charge rainwater system to a 500L tank and I want to fit a Polybuild RAIN TAP Rainwater Diverter to one of the pipes near the pool and run rainwater via a hose into the pool. I started to cut into the pipe and found water spurting out and realised it was one of the charged pipes full of water.
Q1. If I fit the diverter 1M up from the pool do I assume the level of water in this charged pipe will stay at 1M and not effect the charged system working in conjunction with the other 3 pipes.
Q2. This diverter has a safety vent area at the base that allows back up water to escape so assume the level would never get higher than 1M so how will that feature effect the charged system. This bypass area is in excess of 200 square mms.
At the moment I have temporary taped up the cut slot in the pipe.
Thanks your advise would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Brian
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I been waiting an hour and still no reply.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I will do my best to assist you with an answer.[b/]. I offer training and step by step coaching beyond that.
First, tell me if I am correct that by 'charged' you mean 'water pressure'
Without a piping diagram it is difficult to tell what you have exactly... so far it sounds like you were trying to run non pressurized rain water from a non pressurized 500L tank, using a pump, into your *pressurized city water feed line to the pool.
That would be a problem because your 500L tank pump pressure will only rarely be the same as well water or city water mains pressure... it can be done however using some check and back flow preventer valves.
-----------
This link below is a 100% gravity pressurized system, water will flow down hill from here to the pool and/or a non pressurized tank.
http://www.water-diverter.com.au/
I do not understand rain water diversion to the 500L tank unless the tank is not pressurized, and you have a pump attached to the tank that pressurizes the water *from the tank for use in the house. Please clarify.
---------------
In order to do that bit of engineering for you I need a neat pencil sketch that you can photograph then attach to this dialog box using the 'attach files' link at the lower left corner of your reply box.
Regarding your questions
Q1... so far it looks like there should be no effect.
Q2 The diverter is not a charged system, it is a gravity system, and entirely separate from any charged system.... it is most likely that your 500L tank is not charged either so that you can divert rain water to it, but does have a pump attached that provides the charge (water pressure) to the house?
------------------
Tell me if you are on city water or well water.
----------------
I will be here this morning for another 3 hours, then I will be gone for 5 hours to attend to a project I am managing. I will be back then for another 6 hours... and of course available all day tomorrow.
See if you can get me a clean looking diagram of the entire system including all pumps and tanks, we can go from there.
.............
We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave the web site. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Phil, thanks for your reply, however, I am a bit surprised you are not a plumber but a mech engr not that I've got anything against engrs as I am an industrial engr. Also realised you are in USA and I am in Australia where a charged system is fairly common plumber terminology where there are no pumps involved simply the height of down pipes must be above the inlet feed-in height to the tank. I am not trying to run rain water from a tank into a pressurized city water feed line to the pool. As my note states I want to divert rainwater from a charged pipe into my pool not run rainwater to the tank. Re; Ques I have since emailed to the Australian designer of the diverter and he said if I cut into this pipe at 1M then that pipe will not continue to be a charged pipe as the water level will be lower that tank feed-in level which is at 2M so there will definitely be an effect unless I fit the diverter above the 2M mark. Rainwater into my tank is a charged system from the 4 down pipes, outlet water from the tank to house toilets etc is electrically pumped. The diverter designer has satisfactory answered my questions from the same email note I sent you so I'm not sure how I should rate you and I am not sure what happens about the $39 if I am due for a refund. I certainly do not want to continue with the 7 day free trial and wish to cancel that now. Do I do that thru you? Thanks Brian
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, thanks for the clarification, so far I have not given you an answer...We were at the clarification stage.
Good work on getting the diverter designers advice!
I will submit a refund request on your behalf.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks