Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years

Good morning: I have cut my cement floor and done my rough

Good morning:
I have cut my cement floor and done my rough in's for my washroom.
I need to cement my floor and set my flange. I will install ceramic tile in the washroom.
Should I anchor my flange in after cement has cured and then put an extension flange in after tiling or anchor my flange in on top of the thin set after tiling.

Hi and thanks for using our service! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to give you the most accurate answer.

Have the PVC drain pipe stick up where the toilet is located and install the new concrete. Allow the concrete to dry and then cut the drain pipe flush with the concrete. Glue the PVC flange to the drain pipe and secure to the concrete with Tapcons (this will require drilling with a masonry drill.) Install tile floor and cut around the flange. After tile and grout dries, install the wax ring and secure the toilet to the flange.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please rate my answer if I have completely helped you today, so that I am credited for my time assisting you. Rating my answer does not cost you any more, and only by your rating am I compensated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Brian.

If I have the flange 3/8(1/2) inch below the ceramic tile after tiling is done, will it be necessary to put a flange adapter on to bring up the top of the flange close to floor level, or will wax seal be sufficient?

Hi Tom, the closet flange is pretty close to the thickness of the tile and thinset, unless you are installing unusually thick tile. But even if you are 3/8 to 1/2 inch below the wax ring will work within that.