Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer.
Experience:  Retired mech. contractor, shop owner, 51 yrs experience.
23932409

Hi, we put in a hot water heater and everything was working

Hi, we put in a hot water heater and everything was working fine before it was installed and then after installation, there's just dripping water coming out of my brand new kitchen faucet and there's no hot water.

Water is coming out fine (but not hot) in the bathrooms.

Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer! . I will stay with you until the situation resolves. I hold questions open after positive ratings to allow for unlimited follow up.

Many times with a new water heater installation the filters on the end of the faucets clog up... those are the first things to remove and clean.

The circuit breakers should not have anything to do with the hot water heater situation.

If removing the filter screens on the end of the taps fails, it is quite likely that the water heater was piped incorrectly.

Can you send me a few pictures of the new water heater installation and piping by using the paper clip icon in this dialog box? If that fails, try using www.flickr.com

and send me the URL address to the pictures.

We can go from there until we get this figured out. It is nearly midnight here, I will be in for another half hour, then back in the morning.

There are no time limits here.

Phil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Phil. Would the faucet filter be clogged even if it is a new faucet? The hot water heater was not new (about 3 years old) that we installed.

I thought maybe it was not turned on somehow due to no hot water.

I can get pics (not tonight, though as it is outside way in the back and I don't like going back there at night) in the morning.

My mom is afraid that something will blow with the water not coming out and something is blocking it tonight.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, the filter would be clogged on a new faucet if there was a lot of dirt or plumbing pipe dope inside the new water heater...and that is common.

The water heater has temperature controls and should be fit with a pressure relief valve preventing any problem. I cannot guarantee that since I am not on the job site, but that is most likely the case... if you are worried about it go outside and shut the valve in gas line going to the water heater off.

I will be waiting for your pictures.

Phil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Phil, I don't believe there is a gas line as we don't have gas here, only electric.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, Phil. I went to the faucet and unscrewed it and all kinds of stuff in there and wahlah! Water! :) Still not hot, but it's getting warmer. Is it supposed to take hours to get warm? It was put in around 7 p.m.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Good work!

Let the hot water run for half an hour or so before you put the screens back on.

And yes, electric hot water heaters take a while to heat up the hot water...let me know how it goes. The company pays me from their reserves if you choose to rate my work for you *positively..... and... in that case i hold the question open for follow up as needed.

Thanks!

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer.
Experience: Retired mech. contractor, shop owner, 51 yrs experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Phil. Thank you so much for your help! I'm sorry I can't afford to give you a tip right now. :( Take care, LuAnn

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again LuAnn... about 200 million of us can't afford to give tips these days... don't feel like you are the lone ranger in that regard... take care...and hang on to whats left of your money.

Feel free to stay in touch if you need to, all on the same dime so to speak.

Phil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, Phil. :)