Nick
Nick, Plumber
Experience:  I have 9 years of experience and a vast knowledge in commercial and residential plumbing.
73147762

I am having a problem joining 2 pieces of municipal poly.

Customer Question

I am having a problem joining 2 pieces of municipal poly. The Mueller 3/4 H15403 110 coupling either comes off immediately or later on. What installation tip can you offer which might help me with this problem?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Nick replied 1 year ago.

Nick :

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you resolve your problem. Feel free to ask any questions to better help you, once I have answered your question to your satisfaction please rate my service. Thank you

Nick :

Hi, how are you today?

Customer:

Good, you?

Nick :

Im good thanks.

Customer:

I want to confirm you understand my question.

Nick :

Yes I believe I understand what you're asking. Are you using pipe stiffeners in the pipe before compressing the coupling?

Customer:

Good point! Yes I am!

Customer:

I should tell you that the water pressure is very high and that I am using 180PSI CSA HDPE

Nick :

Are you using tools that are allowing you to completely tighten down the coupling?

Customer:

If this connector was improperly installed the first time, does that ruin the connector? What I mean by that is that maybe I didn't have the full length of the poly inside.

Customer:

Yes, I am using a pipe wrench and a crescent and tightening them to the max but not excessive.

Nick :

I've reused the couplings before with no problems, so I would say it would be fine.

Customer:

okay

Nick :

What is the pressure you're working with? I'm not sure if these couplings have a max working pressure

Customer:

Is there another style of connector which would install more securely?

Customer:

I do not know the actual PSI but it is very high. We get water from the lake via a local pump station. We are close to lake level. Others in the development are on much higher ground.

Customer:

Is there a crimp on style connector?

Nick :

I was trying to find out if there was a max psi rating for these but didn't find anything on it. There is crimp on fittings but would not recommend if it will be underground

Customer:

Actually, unless he was wanting me to fail and then have to hire him, I bought the connector from a plumber who lives in the area.

Customer:

That is interesting. My son was talking about PEX underground and the crimp connections for PEX. So you're saying crimp on connections should not be used underground?

Nick :

As long as the gaskets and compression ring is in it on both ends and you had the stiffeners in both of the pipe ends it should be a good fitting that would work, you should be able to tighten it to wear all the threads are not visible anymore.

Nick :

I was always told not to use them underground. However jthere was a couple of times we've used two cinch type rings on each end of the pipes and taped it like crazy to keep dirt away from it

Nick :

Propress fittings may be a possibility for you, they are high strentgh connections and are approved underground in s of me areas. You would need to rent a high dollar tool however. Plumbing supply stores would be your best bet for these fittings and tool, if you get lucky they may even let you borrow for free with a deposit

Customer:

The connector on the inside, where the poly joins to the main, does have a separate ring type gasket but the one I am using underground does not. Also, the one inside [make unknown] has little springs joined together. One is broken but it has not been leaking. I still plan to replace it.

Customer:

I think, based on what I have been able to tell you, that you've answered the question as best as you could.

Customer:

I have a service request to a local plumber which I will call upon, if after trying it again, I fail.

Nick :

Im trying to find you a link to a pdf file that will show you what parts should be in the coupling to make a proper connection, this should help you find out if this is a bad fitting and you just need a new one or if you need to try another option

Customer:

This is a particularly difficult problem because even if my effort tomorrow seems to succeed, it may turn out 2 weeks later that it did not. Making it worse, I am only here once a month so if it leaks, nobody is here to notice it!

Nick :

https ://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=Mueller%203%2F4%20H15403%20110&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CDMQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.muellerflo.com%2Ffiles%2FWater%2520Section%252006.pdf&ei=p7vLUcz2IYfziQKO4oDYBQ&usg=AFQjCNFETnc_oFwSU42hk5bn0Cnb09__Xw&bvm=bv.48572450,d.cGE

Nick :

Try looking at this pdf, the first picture shows the ring that needs to be on both sides to compress down. And I wanted to make sure that the stiffener you're talking about is a stainless insert that goes into the pipe before putting the coupling on?

Customer:

Darn! The link won't work. I cut and pasted it.

Customer:

yes, stainless steel, goes into poly first before connector.

Nick :

Ok just making sure. You can try this one.

Nick :

www.muellerflo.com/files/Water%20Section%2006.pdf

Customer:

Yes, that worked? But the one which didn't work -- is it even better?

Customer:

You are very thorough and knowledgeable!

Nick :

It should have been the same file. The skinny ring that kinda overlaps is a part that can fall out, you need to make sure this is in both ends of the coupling, it is actually two half rings to make a ring

Nick :

Thank you

Customer:

I will have to check to be sure but it could well be that this is the problem!

Nick :

I do my best to help

Customer:

You earned the money!

Customer:

Thank you!

Nick :

It could be. Not sure if you can buy replacement ones or if you'll have to buy a new coupling

Customer:

I will get complete new ones!

Nick :

You're welcome, please dont forget to rate my serviceand you can always come back to this page and ask me anything else on this issue

Customer:

You quite possibly saved me $300 -- that is what the plumber was going to charge me!

Customer:

I will indeed rate you -- you're the best!

Nick :

Sounds quite high if you ask me

Nick :

Hope you can avoid that cost

Customer:

It is highway robbery since the hole is dug and we're taking just outside the foundation.

Nick :

Goodluck to you

Customer:

thanks!

Nick :

Is there anything else?

Customer:

Nothing else

Nick, Plumber
Experience: I have 9 years of experience and a vast knowledge in commercial and residential plumbing.