Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.

Please Help! My Kitchen sink/sprayer is being a pain. All started

Customer Question

Please Help! My Kitchen sink/sprayer is being a pain. All started because I broke the trigger on the sprayer. I replaced the sprayer then the hose simply because the new sprayer wouldn't fit on the old hose. Ok fine, no big deal. But ever since then, at full pressure, half the water will continue to come out of the faucet while I'm using the sprayer. HowToGooglePedia says this is the Diverter Valve. I've taken apart, cleaned, and replaced this. I've also taken off the sprayer head allowing water to just come straight through the hose. No water comes through the faucet then. Anyone have some new ideas? Please and thank you for your time.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.
the diverter needs to be replaced. I think they're about$5. remove the handle and the bonnet ( with the water off) & cartridge and remove the spout. the diverter is in the base below where the spout is.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've already done that.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.

ok i read it as you had cleaned it, sorry. did you already remove the new one and check to see if any debris is stuck in it by flushing it out? is the image attached the diverter that you replaced?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is the correct Diverter and there is no debris.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.
did you use the danco brand one or the delta brand? did you use any lubricant? if so what did you use?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried the Danco brand first, that was far too loose and made the sink vibrate as well. I went to a plumbing supply and I assume they gave me the Delta brand but there was no packaging. I haven't used any lubricant.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.

if there was no packaging i doubt it was the delta brand. i do know from experience the danco brand replacement parts are not machined very well and don't always work. can you call the supply you got it from and find out if that was the delta one?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They're closed now but I will try tomorrow. Thanks for the responses.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.
ok well i'll hear from you tomorrow then. i am pretty confident it is the after market part that is causing the issue. i do know that Lowes sells the delta brand part.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I figured it out and it's not the valve. I shouldn't have had to replace it at all. The problem was with the dang sprayer and a plastic washer that the instrustions tell you to have on there that was messing with the seal and so I guess the pressure as well.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.
I see
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.
I don't understand why you rated me poorly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It says if I rate you ok or above you get credit and no offense but you didn't answer the problem. Thanks for the attempt but I ended up figuring it out by continuing to mess with things other than the diverter valve.