Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.

Gerber toilet splashes on seat and floor when flushed. How

Customer Question

Gerber toilet splashes on seat and floor when flushed. How do we fix?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying it splashes out of the bowl or the tank? has it always done that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

out of the bowl. and yes, it has always done that (it is new)

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
be sure the tube from the fill valve is in the fill tube. if the trap is not filling properly it may cause backsplash. also lower the float so the tank does not fill as much. it may be a design flaw but reducing the water in the tank upon flushing should do the trick.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i don't believe there is a float in a gerber toilet. can't find one in the diagram that came with toilet.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
the fill valve is likely similar to the fluidmaster. if you watch the tank fill you'll see what part is the float. it will have a screw to adjust the height. the tank also has a mark on the inside for where the water is recommended to fill to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Gerber has a tank inside the tank that is completely enclosed so you cannot see it fill (so I cannot see fill line). It relies on pressure to flush quickly so if I open the enclosed tank it gets very complicated.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
could you tell me the model gerber toilet you have? did you buy the toilet that was a display in the store?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ecoflush B8104

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

there really is no adjustment that can fix that one. the only possibility would be to reverse the partial flush and full flush lines but really the only sure fix would be to replace with a Kohler or american standard or replace everything in the tank with a more standard system such as fluidmaster system that can be adjusted.Fluidmaster Duo Flush System - Dual Flush ConverterFluidmaster 400AK Complete Toilet Tank Repair Kit For 1.6 GPF

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
i do not know why you rated my service badly. it is unfortunate the answer is what it is but please understand i do not have any control over the design of the product. if there is some other information i can provide or questions about what has been provided i would like to help. i would like to provide information that will help you reconsider your rating. thank you, canuck