Nick, Plumber
Experience:  I have 9 years of experience and a vast knowledge in commercial and residential plumbing.

I have an error code c-2 11 on my rheem rtg-74pvn. I know is

Customer Question

I have an error code c-2 11 on my rheem rtg-74pvn. I know is a broad code, but i am told it could be the flow selenoid or flow valve? if so how do i test these parts?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 years ago.
. Error code 11 is a failure to detect ignition. This is usually indicative of an insufficient gas supply, caused by either undersized pipes or an undersized gas regulator. However, it could also be a build up of ash on the flame rods themselves. Which would prevent the unit from detecting ignition. And it could be a combination of both, a build of up of ash/deposits caused by a marginally sized gas supply. 
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I admit we do have a 1/2" gas supply, where the recommendation is 3/4". why would the unit work great for 4-5ish years and then have this problem now with undersized supply?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 years ago.
over time combustion is not happening properly and causes buildup in the ignition chamber. likely had to fire more often to keep the flame kit causing buildup of ash. the quick fix would be replace the flame rods and clear the ignition area. proper repair would be replaced the gas supply with a larger supply and also clean the ignition area and replace the flame rods.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have taken apart burner area and cleaned. Do you have a picture of what the flame rods look like? And also is this answer the same if it works when we turn water on and off multiple times and then once unit is on, the unit works nonstop turn til turned off?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 years ago.

yes it does sound that reignition is an issue. I'll have to wait until later when I'm at the computer to attach a picture.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can reply when you send a picture, can sanding down the flame rods help the situation, at least temporarily, or can that ruin the rods?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 years ago.
I'll opt out. if no one sends the picture before I do I will.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 years ago.
you could possibly just clean the flame rod but it may just be worn from excessive firing. you can make that assessment upon inspection. here is a link to a kit that would be the replacement on ebay.
Expert:  Nick replied 3 years ago.
Seeing that turning off and on the water gets the unit to fire makes me wonder if there is just a flow restriction. Have you checked the cold inlet filter for debris, or your aerators and shower head filter screens for debris restricting your flow which would cause the unit to not fire? Try running hot water through several fixtures at once, you may have to check the inlet filter at the water heater first as this will still limit the flow that goes through the heater and keep it from firing