Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.

I have purchased Melbourne Single hole lavatory taps for my

Customer Question

I have purchased Melbourne Single hole lavatory taps for my new counter but the countertop is 1.25" thick. The shank for the tap only extends 1.25" into the counter -therefore, nothing to tighten nut to. Is there a shank that is longer that with fit this product that I can purchase? Only suggestion to date has been to return the faucets or grind down the underside of the countertop.
your Plumbing question here
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 years ago.
do you know if the shank is 1/2"? if so then one of these extenders would work and is available at Lowe's.
see the link below. if not could you provide the model number? there were several faucets as described.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi the shank or nipple is 1.25"across and 2.25" long with 1.25" extending from top to bottom of counter ring. The threading is continuous but split between top and bottom to allow for the securing of both the tap above and the nut below. The tap was made by Nottingham Brass and is 222-A-SL (170342) Melbourne Faucet - Single Lever Basin Mixer Antique Brass (SHW80 8536 2/2 SPA_2414140 271143 27.28L1 Qty2/2 is the other information on the box) Hope this helps.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 years ago.
I can't find that model anywhere. I've been down this road before but before I suggest what had already been suggested, could you send a picture of the faucet, shank and hardware?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am quite willing to do that but how do I add photos to my reply on this site?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 years ago.
sometimes i have to add them after i respond. try responding and then edit it and attach photos. if not then upload to photobucket or wikisend and copy and paste the link.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I am going to try this.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 years ago.
maybe i looked at it too soon and now you can't edit it and add pics. sorry. try again?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried to download the pictures to you three times now and it keeps telling me that my access is denied that I do not have permission on this server.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 years ago.
weird. what about download it there then copy and paste the file to your next comment.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 years ago.
i'm not sure why you gave me a bad rating when i am still trying to help. i would still like to help if i can.