Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Type your Plumbing question here my toilets are bubbling and

Type
your Plumbing question here my toilets are bubbling and over flow. I pushed a garden hose down the vent pipe thinking the vent pipe was clogged. I'm still having problems. I've had waste come out of my shower drain, a pretty big pile of toilet paper come out of the tub drain. And of course it's in the basement. Any suggestions?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help with your issue

Rick :

It sounds like you are describing classic symptoms of a main sewer line stoppage. The line will need to be snaked out with a very large snake often called a sewer machine

Rick :

The best option is to call a drain cleaning service. You can sometimes rent a sewer machine but it's a rotten messy job and you may not have much luck if you don't know how to use the machine

Rick :

Besides the drain cleaning company probably won't cost much more than the machine rental

Rick :

This could also be caused by a septic tank that needs to be pumped and the company that pumps your tank usually can snake out the line if needed

Rick :

If your tank hasn't been pumped in a while I'd suggest you call a septic pumping company and they can probably handle the entire problem

Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience: Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the main sewer line snaked and still have issues, not as bad, but something else is still causing the toilets to bubble and not wanting to flush right.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
There could be a problem with the sewer main. If there is a defect, a sag or a broken pipe, snaking the line will only temporarily solve the problem. You may need to have a camera put down the main. Most drain cleaning services provide camera service. This does have some of the characteristics of a venting issue so a blocked vent is another possibility. The blocked vent could also be related to a sewer main problem depending on how the system is piped. I know you put a hose down the stack but that only clears the main stack vent not any of the branch vents. I'd call for the camera service first. If that doesn't reveal any problems then you'll probably have to call a plumber to track down the venting issue.