Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

to start off. I am a heating and air conditioning tech. with

to start off. I am a heating and air conditioning tech. with knowledge of plumbing. My dilemma is I have an indirect hot water off of an oil boiler. I want to install an electric hot water heater to the system for summer use, to cut down on oil consumption. So here is my three part question. 1) should I hook it up in series with my indirect tank or in parallel? 2)The indirect has an expansion tank before it. Should I also have an expansion tank before the electric hwh? 3) The original system is done in wirsbo pex. I only have the equipment for crimp pex. What is the best way to convert from wirsbo to crimp pex in this situation? are gator bite connections a better option?

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help with your issue

Hook up your electric in parallel, there is nothing to be gained by piping it in series. In fact it's less efficient since you will have standby loss in series with the second tank.

As long as there are to stops between the new tank and the expansion tank you don't need to do anything in that regard. What you have now will work fine with the new tank. Pressure tends to equalize throughout the piping system

Since PEX is standard size you can probably use your crimped connections and fittings on the Wirsbo. I've used Watts crimp rings on many different brands of PEX but never Wirsbo. That said push lock fittings are a sure thing.

I just noticed a typo. The second answer should read> as long as there are NO stops between the expansion tank and the heater
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay I figured out what you meant by stops. But would it hurt anything if I had an expansion tank on both tanks. When I do them in series Should I bloodshot offs on both the intake and Outlet of both water Tanks?
It won't hurt anything to have 2 expansion tanks but only 1 is needed. I'm not sure what you mean by " Should I bloodshot offs on both the intake and Outlet of both water Tanks?" I think you mean do you need stops (shut offs) on inlet and outlet of both tanks. If that's it then no you don't need them. All you need is a stop on the cold in. Just shut the cold feed to the indirect off when you use the electric and vice versa. You can install stops on both in and out for both tanks but it's more of a convenience (if one of the tank leaks) than a necesssity.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Great. One last question. I never used gator bite connectors or anything like them. Are they good for copper to pex ? And are they reliable? Okay, two questions. Lol. Thank you for your help.
Shark bites, Gator bites any type of push lock fitting works very well and we've never had a call back on one. We tend to only use them in a repair situation but they are a life saver when we have to fix a leak in a polybutylene line or even an old PEX line. If you plan on using PEX keep in mind that most jurisdictions require 2' of copper out of the tank before you can go to PEX. Also I'd be sure to use brass push lock fittings on hot water lines. It's ok to use the plastic ones on a cold line.