Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

How best may I vent a kitchen sink without a vent stack penetrating

How best may I vent a kitchen sink without a vent stack penetrating a roof? I am planning a remodel of my kitchen and dining room. I want to remove a wall and open the kitchen into the dining room. The sink and dishwasher are on an interior wall and share a vent stack that penetrates the ceiling. The kitchen is on a concrete slab and there is no attic. (the home designer was Joseph Eichler)

May I use a Studor vent or similar device installed under-cabinet, or may I use a set up that is used to vent a kitchen island? If I use a Studor vent of similar device, will it allow bad smells or moisture to come into the cabinet or interior space?

Can I avoid penetrating the roof?

How can I satisfy building code requirements here?

Thank you,

Marc the plumber : Hello and thank you for using the service. I will assist you today with your question to the best of my ability. DO NOT RATE SERVICE UNTIL COMPLETED.
Marc the plumber : Yes a studor vent or mechanical vent can be used in your application or an island vent piping configuration... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxmPwH4dxpk
Marc the plumber : prior to installing a studor or mechanical vent you should consult with the local plumbing inspector to get their approval as they have the final say if you can use the studor vent or not.
Marc the plumber : The studor or mechanical vent will not allow gasses to enter the home. It is designed to allow air into the system without allowing sewer gasses into the home by use of a spring and diaphragm gasket. When the system needs air to properly drain, the vacuum of the draining will pull down the diaphragm and open the vent allowing air into the system without allowing the gasses to escape.
Customer:

Hi Mark,

Customer:

Thanks for your advice. My local building department in Palo Alto, CA declines to approve the use of a Studor type vent at this time.

Customer: