qwasert
qwasert, Plumber
Experience:  Journeyman Plumber
7115410

I have 2 outdoor faucets and neither work, the faucet in the

I have 2 outdoor faucets and neither work, the faucet in the front of the house I can trace the plastic pipe all the way to the main source of water in the basement and there is not a shut off valve hiding anywhere. It does branch off to feed the faucet outside, and then it continues on to feed my sink upstairs, my fridge and my dishwasher. I'm stumped. The other faucet is down by the basement which is partially finished (but with no ceiling) and I can't find a shut off valve there either where the plastic pipe branches off. This is a new house for me and I'm not sure if they ever worked but I sure could use some help.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  qwasert replied 1 year ago.

qwasert : Hi, Welcome To Just Answer. My name isXXXXX will do my best to help you figure out your problem or the best course of action.
Customer:

ok

qwasert :

How are you doing today?

Customer:

fine thanks

qwasert :

Glad to hear it, ill be happy to walk you through your problem and try and help you locate the source.

Customer:

k

qwasert :

To determine the local plumbing codes and how your house may have been plumbed may I ask what state you are located in?

Customer:

pa

qwasert :

Pennsylvania, great.

qwasert :

You say you have traced the water lines from the connection at the hose bib inside the house back to the main and have not found any shut off valves?

Customer:

Yes

qwasert :

Can you tell me the year the house was built?

Customer:

2005

qwasert :

That is quite new to be having any kind of serious problem. I'm sure it has to be something quite simple.

Customer:

that's what i thought but i just can't figure it out and it's killing me :)

qwasert :

Does the home have a water softener installed?

Customer:

nope

qwasert :

Okay, you mentioned that the hose bib lines connect to the fridge and sink correct?

Customer:

yes, the main plastic pipe has several branches, one of them goes to the outside faucet and then it goes on to the sink area and this is all in my basement that doesn't have a finished ceiling

qwasert :

Interesting, just to be clear there is no valves between the hose and where it connects to the water line or source of water?

Customer:

no valves

qwasert :

Do you know the brand or possibly the color of the hose bib on the outside of the house?

Customer:

makes me think that its out at the bib itself...you know like a screw or some kind

Customer:

lol

Customer:

thats what i was gonna say

Customer:

are you able to do this over phone so i can talk to you outside

qwasert :

Unfortunately there are no options to speak with you over the phone due to the privacy policy of the site.

Customer:

oh ok....let me go look at the bib brand

qwasert :

Great.

qwasert :

Standing by.

Customer:

it is a mansfield and it also has a mansfield anti siphon

qwasert :

okay great.

qwasert :

I don't suppose you know if the hose is a frost free type?

Customer:

i don't know but it does get freezing here so i would guess they would use something like that

Customer:

i do know that the house was vacant for a few years before i bought it and it was winterized but they came in and turned all the water on

qwasert :

I think that it is odd that neither of the hose bibs are working.

Customer:

i agree

qwasert :

How many are there 2?

Customer:

yes

qwasert :

Well, if you are certain that the water is on to the hose bib lines the next step is to take apart the faucet and check it for foreign objects or debris which is blocking the water flow.

Customer:

im not sure it's on cause i can't turn on the faucet

Customer:

i know everything around those pipes work

qwasert :

Is it possible that there could be a separate line for the hose bib line? When I install a new plumbing system I separate the hose bibs off from the house with their own valve.

Customer:

I can see the plastic tube coming out of the wall in my basement where the hose bib is on the other side which is outside and I can follow it all the way through the basement to the main water source so i dont think that's a possibility...I think I just have to have someone come out here and figure it out cause I have no clue

qwasert :

Another expert sent a message to me about these hose bibs. Apparently Mansfield hose bibs are notorious for this issue.

Customer:

oh great

qwasert :

Is it okay if I have the other expert join the chat to assist you with your issue?

Customer:

i know their toilets suck :)

Customer:

sure

qwasert :

lol, I hate their toilets also.

qwasert :

Please wait one moment while I get expert Plmqwk!

Customer:

Hey Ben I know this is a dumb question but can I turn off the water and take the bib off and then turn the water on for a second and turn it back on and see if anything flows or would that be a bad idea?

Customer:

back off i meant

qwasert :

The other expert is buisy at this time but he did say to try and tap the handle of the hose bib with a hammer. What happens is the seat spring becomes stuck holding the valve closed.

Customer:

ohhhh

Customer:

so i should turn the water on and then tap it with a hammer?

qwasert :

He said "love taps" which means to me kinda firm but not enough to break it.

qwasert :

I would turn on the hose bib and try tapping on it yes.

Customer:

i would whack it off the wall so im glad you clarified

qwasert :

LOL

Customer:

thats my luck anyway

Customer:

k brb

qwasert :

Standing by

Customer:

ben you are totally not going to believe this

Customer:

it worked

Customer:

im not kidding

qwasert :

That is awesome!

Customer:

im a happy girl

Customer:

now i can wash my car

qwasert :

Cars need washing!

Customer:

oh thank you thank you thank you

Customer:

a bunch of stuff did fall out

qwasert :

Many thanks to PlmbQwk for his input!

Customer:

yes yes yes

Customer:

so how do i pay you?

qwasert :

You click to accept or rate service.

Customer:

Im so happy thanks so much!!!! You were awesome and so was PlmQwk!!!!! are we done?

qwasert :

Your welcome. I am happy that you are happy.

qwasert :

Yes, any time you are ready. I forgot to release the rating feature sorry!

Customer:

im ready!!!! Thanks again ben and I'm Michelle :)

qwasert :

Nice to meet you Michelle! I hope you return for future problems you need answers to. I have release the rating feature so you should be good to go.

qwasert, Plumber
Experience: Journeyman Plumber